Appropriate Internet Use at NPUST
Adopted by the Information Management Committee meeting,98th Academic Year.(November 10,2009)
Adopted by the 137th Executive Council,98th Academic Year.(November 12,2009)
Article 1 National Pingtung University of Technology and Science (referred to below as NPUST) in accordance with「The Campus
Internet Use Policy of the Ministry of Education」，has outlined a policy for suitable use of the internet on campus
called “Appropriate Internet Use at NPUST”(referred to below as “this policy.”)
Article 2 NPUST’s policy (which includes the use of classroom, administrative and dorm computers) is managed by the Computing
Center; pertinent rules and regulations are set and enforced by them and they investigate and report on infractions of
Article 3 NPUST’s policy is part of TANet, which provides service and support to faculty and students.
Article 4 The stipulations of NPUST’s policies are as follows：
1. Sending threatening, offensive, disgusting or illegal material of any kind over the internet is strictly prohibited.
2. Illegal downloading of MP3s, buying pirated software, gambling, downloading violent materials, buying controlled substances,
illicit drugs, weapons, or downloading materials advocating suicide, communicating with hackers and downloading
pornographic materials over the internet are all strictly prohibited.
3. Students are not allowed to post slanderous, threatening, frightening or disturbing materials in chat rooms on message boards,
forums, BBS or any other type of public discussion board.
4. Students are not allowed to start private websites, take part in business-related online activities, post advertisements or use
illegal software in any way.
5. The disseminating of computer viruses, Trojan horse programs, the installation of cookies or other data collection devices or
devices that can be used by hackers, or software that can attack the computer system are all strictly prohibited. Attempting to
access restricted areas, or doing anything that restricts other people’s ability to use the internet is also strictly prohibited.
6. It is strictly prohibited to use the internet to interfere with, or disturb other users; software designed to do that, reroute
information or break into other people’s accounts is also strictly prohibited.
7. Hacking other people’s main systems or databases, carrying out piracy, tampering with other people’s information and or
disseminating private information is strictly prohibited.
8. All the information that can be retrieved from the internet, which belongs to other people or organizations, unless clearly
marked as “public” or unless you have the written permission of the owner, must not be downloaded or transferred in any
9. The installation and use of software: Any software installed on the campus’s internet nodes must be legally obtained; illegally
obtained software may not be installed stored or used within NPUST’s internet system.
10. Website and server building applications and use: If, for academic reasons, you need如因to build a website or a server, your
instructor should apply to the computing center on your behalf; after your application has been approved you may begin
building your server or website. Applicants are fully responsible for the content of their websites and servers, and are held to
the rules stipulated above and below.
11. The internet resources of NPUST, like e-mail accounts and passwords, web pages and hard drive space, may be accessed only
with a successful application; they may not be lent, rented, sold or leaked to unauthorized persons.
12. The use of NPUST’s IP Address is distributed by the Computing Center; illegal| use is strictly prohibited.
For violators of any of the stipulations outlined above, the Computing Center reserves the right to restrict access to the Campus internet resources for up to 1 year, depending on the severity of the infraction. In any area where the above regulations are unclear or incomplete, the most closely fitting regulation will take effect.
Article 15 With respect to compliance with copyright law, intellectual property rights, protection of people’s personal private
information, and internet privacy laws, the pertinent legal codes apply.
Article 16 With respect to the distribution of internet resources, such as how much bandwidth you use, how many bytes of data
you download, length of use etc., the Computing Center reserves the right to set the details of limits according to
Article 17 The content above has been discussed at length and passed by the information management committee and the
administrative committee; it should be publicized in a timely manner after being approved by the Dean of the school.